Fourth Council 1980-1984

The Fourth Council: May 1980 - May 1984

Elections for members of the fourth Council were held on 24 May 1980.

George Smith was re-elected as Mayor with an overwhelming majority.

Elected Members

Dan Kilgariff
John Jenkins
Les Loy
David Bell
Leslie Oldfield
Trevor Espeland
Wayne Thomas
Bill Oestreich
John Marriott
Reg Smith

Changes within Council

29 May, 1980: Council elected Alderman Leslie Oldfield as Deputy Mayor
Resignations, 23 February, 1981: Aldermen Bill Oestreich, David Bell, and John Jenkins
By-election, 11 April, 1981: Aldermen Dave Tuzewski, John Reeves, and Ray Hanrahan
March, 1981: There was discussion on the eligibility of Aldermen Kilgariff and Thomas to remain on the Council because of questions about their residential status
28 September, 1981: Alderman Dan Kilgariff was disqualified in the local court from holding the position of Alderman because he had moved to live outside the Municipal boundaries
By-election, 21 November, 1981: Alderman Hermann Weber
14 December, 1981: Following the recent by-election, the Office of Deputy Mayor was declared vacant. Although Leslie Oldfield received a majority of votes, an irregularity was found in the number of votes cast. Les Loy was appointed Deputy Mayor, This appointment was confirmed in April, 1982, after the Council took advice from Counsel
Late January, 1982: Les Loy appointed acting Mayor while Mayor George Smith was on holidays
Resignation, 5 April, 1982: Alderman Trevor Espeland
By-election, 8 May, 1982: Alderman Brian Smith
31 May, 1982: Council elected Les Loy as Deputy Mayor
Resignation, 11 February, 1983: Mayor George Smith resigned from Council
Resignation, 23 February, 1983: Alderman Wayne Thomas
28 February, 1983: Council appointed Deputy Mayor Les Loy as acting Mayor
Resignation, 8 March, 1983: Council noted the resignations of Aldermen Dave Tuzewski and Leslie Oldfield
By-election, 23 April, 1983: Leslie Oldfield was elected as Alice Springs’ first woman Mayor. Aldermen Dave Tuzewski (re-elected), John King, Barry Browse, and Harvey Millard
Resignation, 17 November, 1983: Council tabled the resignation of Alderman Ray Hanrahan,
28 November, 1983: Council decided not to fill the vacancy on Council
Resignation, 16 February, 1984: Council tabled the resignation of Alderman Brian Smith and decided not to fill the vacancy



Alice Springs celebrated the arrival of the first standard gauge passenger train on 9 October 1980.

It was driven for the last few kilometres by Princess Alexandra.

Council assumed responsibility of the Town Library on 1 July 1980.

Previously, the library had been under the charge of the Northern Territory Government.

This was only one of a number of increasing responsibilities assumed by the Council.

The new library, to be known as the “Nevil Shute Memorial Library”, was officially opened on 19 October 1980.

In January 1981, a car park was opened in Hartley Street with access to Todd Mall through Reg Harris Lane. Council supported the National Trust in its efforts to raise sufficient funds for the restoration of the old Hartley Street School but placed a time limit on its fund-raising.

Tony Greatorex, former Legislative Council President and Alice Springs Mayor died in January 1981, aged 75 years.

During 1941 to 1946 he served in the AIF and fought in the Middle East and New Guinea where he attained the rank of Captain.

At a Council meeting in late April 1981, a proposal to hold Council meetings during the day time was defeated by a narrow margin.

Construction of the proposed Araluen sub-division began in early June 1981.

Most of the Lots had already been sold.

Acting Chief Minister Marshall Perron advised the Council that Aldermen living outside the Municipal boundaries must resign from Council.

At the Council meeting on 22 June 1981, it was agreed that the name of the Corporation be The Alice Springs Town Council.



Council made a financial payment to the Management of the Gap Neighbourhood Centre concerning their Outreach Youth Worker.

From February, 1982, Aldermen took turns at being available on Saturdays at the Council Chambers to meet members of the public.

This arrangement was soon discontinued because of a lack of response from the public.

The Library declared an amnesty on overdue books. Council assisted the Toy Library with a financial grant.

On 11 January, 1982, Roy Mitchell began a three month's appointment as acting Town Clerk to replace Town Clerk Trevor Jenkinson who had been taken sick in late November 1981, and was now on extended sick leave until 6 July 1982, at which time he retired.

After the May 1982, by-election, Council members could be excused if they were confused with three Mr Smith’s on Council.



Acting Town Clerk, Mr Roy Mitchell, was appointed Town Clerk with effect from 7 July 1982.

"Hawker and Street Trading" and "Street Furniture" policies were approved by Council.

Sitzler Brothers was the successful tender to build the Araluen Arts Centre. Earthworks began on site on 20 September, 1982.

Construction was anticipated to be completed by the end of February, 1984.

The Council made a grant to the National Trust, McDouall Stuart Branch, to begin restoration work at the Stuart Memorial (Pioneer) Cemetery.

Council supported the intention of the Northern Territory Government to construct a recreational lake at the Telegraph Station.



In July, 1983, Council decided to convert Todd Street to a full pedestrian mall and started looking for suitable expertise to achieve that result.

Mark Phillips was appointed Inspector and pound-keeper.

Council supported a Careers Day in Alice Springs and agreed for the Town Clerk or his nominee to participate.

Council provided financial assistance to the Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals to meet the costs of euthanasia of stray cats.

Council agreed to a 5 per cent rebate of rates and garbage charges paid in full before the due date.

Council assessed child care needs and facilities in Alice Springs.

By February 1984, the population of Alice Springs had reached 20,000.

Mr Malcolm McKellar was appointed Registrar and Inspector pursuant to the provisions of the Dog Act. He was also declared to be an Officer for the purposes of the Litter Act.

Freedom of Entry to the City was granted to North West Mobile Force, Australian Army, the conferring ceremony to be held on 25 August, 1984.

The annual distribution of free trees to the public was held on Saturday, 15 October, 1983.

It was resolved to proceed with the construction of two indoor basketball courts in Traeger Park.

The Council made bylaws concerning garbage dumps, stallholders and abandoned vehicles in Alice Springs.

The Council petitioned His Honour the Administrator of the Northern Territory to extend the Municipal Boundary of Alice Springs in an eastward direction to coincide with the town/planning Boundary.

A large financial contribution was made by Council to the Araluen Arts and Cultural Centre towards the purchase of a grand piano and two upright pianos.

A position of Welfare Worker was created after the Minister for Community Development provided a subsidy towards the salary and associated costs of employment.

The Saturday morning “Meet the People” sessions were discontinued and regular informative advertisements were to be placed with the media.

The Araluen Arts Centre was officially opened by the Governor General Sir Ninian Stephen on 19 June, 1984.

After speeches by Mr Max Horton, Chairman of the Araluen Trust, and Mr Paul Everingham, Chief Minister of the Northern Territory, Sir Ninian opened the centre and unveiled a plaque.