- Media Releases
- CEO & Directors
- Elected Members
- Logo & Crest
- Solar Energy @ Council
- Congratulatory Message Register
Sixth Council 1988-1992
The Sixth Council: June 1988 - June 1992
Elections for members of the sixth Council were held on 28 May, 1988. Leslie Oldfield was re-elected Mayor.
Changes within Council
4 July, 1988: Council elected Alderman Richard Lim Deputy Mayor
Resignation, 2 May, 1989: Alderman Daphne Calder
Resignation, 5 May, 1989: Alderman Robert Liddle
By-election, 8 July, 1989: Aldermen Carole Frost and Richard Grainger
30 October, 1989: Alderman Kennedy was appointed Acting Mayor for two short periods in November
14 May, 1990: Alderman Kennedy was appointed Acting Mayor as required during the next two months
Resignation, 23 September, 1991: Alderman Richard Grainger for family and business reasons. With ordinary elections due in May, 1992, Council decided not to fill the vacancy
The ordinary election in May 1988, saw the introduction of the Exhaustive Preferential System for counting of votes at Council elections.
This system is applicable to Municipalities which have multiple vacancies to be filled.
The Council was favourably disposed to assuming ownership, custody, care, and maintenance of the N.T. Art Collection of the Central Australian Arts Society. Ownership of the collection was accepted in August 1988.
A ceremony for the dedication and the official opening of the Bicentennial grant/Alice Springs Collection was held on 28 November 1988.
Council continued to press for the devolution of planning powers to local authorities.
On 29 October 1988, Justice Brian Martin officially opened the Alice Prize.
As President of the NT Division of the Bicentennial Authority, he presented the Albert Namatjira watercolour painting Across the Plain to Mount Giles to the Mayor representing the people of the town of Alice Springs.
The recipient of the Community Services Award for 1988 was Mrs Iris Mahomet.
The Council agreed in principle with the proposal of the Minister for Transport and Works to establish an Alice Springs Bus Service and authorised the Chief Executive/Town Clerk to negotiate the matter further.
Mayor Leslie Oldfield and the Chief Executive/Town Clerk Eric Mitchell attended the 1989 Australian Heritage Awards presentation held in Brisbane in April. Council’s book, Alice Springs: Its History and the People Who Made It, was entered into the Awards and received a Certificate of Merit.
Council approved the construction of a concrete skateboard bowl, to be located within the Swimming Centre grounds.
A Policy on Stock Selection and Acquisition for the Alice Springs Public Library was adopted.
Council approved the operation of an overnight pie cart from the site of the old Todd House in Todd Street.
The Council provided assistance to the 1990 World Solar Challenge when the event passed through Alice Springs.
The formation of a Town Band was supported by Council.
Council made funds available to each high school and college in Alice Springs for an annual award presentation to be determined by each school.
In September, 1989, the Council extended a Civic Welcome to their Honours the Administrator Mr Jim Muirhead QC and Mrs Muirhead.
During the following week, Town Council hosted a Civic Reception to welcome their Excellences, the Governor General Mr Bill Hayden and Mrs Hayden to Alice Springs.
“Honorary Citizen” certificates and leather bound editions of Alice Springs: Its History and the People Who Made It were presented to Mr W. Hayden and Mr J. Muirhead.
The Council took steps to register “ASBUS” as a business name.
A Todd Mall Promotion Local Rate was levied for the purpose of defraying the expenses of the Council in relation to the management and promotion of Todd Mall.
A discount for prompt payment of rates was introduced whereby payments by natural persons within fourteen days received a 5 per cent discount.
A Periodic Review – Electoral Representation by Council found that the Council was satisfied that the existing number of Aldermen provided a fair and equitable representation for the electors of Alice Springs and that it found no demonstrable need to divide the Municipality into wards.
Council formed the Alice Springs Town Camps Advisory Committee to advise the Council on the provision of services to Town Camps and their residents.
The Committee was to include representatives of The Town Council, Tangentyere Council, and Town Camp Housing Associations in Alice Springs.
Mayor Leslie Oldfield received an award for Individual Effort from the Keep Australia Beautiful Council.
In November 1989, Mr Trevor Reid passed away.
Trevor had been with Council for 13 years and was second-in-charge to Dave Perry in the Parks Division.
In November 1989, Council introduced partial bans on smoking in the Administration area, Council Chambers, and the Library. Total bans were introduced from 1 July, 1990.
Council proceeded with the construction of a concrete cycle track in Schwarz Crescent.
Grants were made to a number of community organisations, including, Migrant Resource Centre, Central Australian Community Toy Library, Alice Springs Kindergym, YMCA, and Alice Springs Big Band.
Council contributed major financial assistance towards the lighting of Anzac Oval. Lighting was to be of a low intensity suitable for the Corkwood Festival, social sport and sports training, and similar events.
Council assisted financially towards the re-surfacing of the tennis courts at Traeger Park.
The Council agreed not to pursue the acquisition of Panorama Guth and associated land and business, but decided to actively support any rezoning application which would have the effect of ensuring that the Panorama Guth building, and its contents, could not be defaced or demolished by any future owners.
Council assumed responsibility for the preparation and maintenance of the Traeger Park turf centre wicket.
Mayor Oldfield was nominated as a representative of the Council on the Alice Springs TALC Committee.
The Charter of the Todd Mall Marketing Committee was adopted enabling the formation of a Management Committee to carry out functions relating to the management and operation of the Todd Mall Precinct.
With changes to the location of the railway station, Council saw no need to rename Railway Terrace as its name was of historical significance.
Council proceeded with the reconstruction of Gap Road intersections.
Towards the end of June, 1991, Council paid tribute to the late Jock Nelson who died on 20 June 1991, aged eighty-two years. Jock Nelson was the inaugural Mayor of Alice Springs.
He worked as a jackeroo and a drilling contractor.
He enlisted in the second Australian Imperial Force in 1942 and served in the Royal Australian Engineers in Australia and overseas until 1945. In 1947 he was elected as the Member for Stuart in the Northern Territory Legislative Council.
He went on to be elected to the Federal Parliament in 1949 and was re-elected in 1951, 1955, 1958, and 1963.
He was the first Territorian to hold the post of Administrator of the Northern Territory.
The formation of the Alice Springs Town Band was supported. The band would be a means of assisting with provision of musical development opportunities for musicians and enjoyment and enrichment experiences for the wider community.
A Charter of the Alice Springs Town Band Management Committee was drawn up.
Martin Gardiner was awarded the Council’s Community Service Award, Individual Category.
The Award was presented at the Citizenship Ceremony on 1 July, 1991.
The Council introduced the Annual Report giving details of achievements throughout the year and the financial situation.
At the end of January, 1992, Town Clerk Roy Mitchell retired after ten years’ service and was replaced by Allan McGill in March 1992.
Council approved, in principle, a five-year rehabilitation program for the roads in the industrial area, starting in the 1991/92 year.
Council assisted a number of community organisations with grants, including, RSL Works Cricket Club, Holyoake Institute, Centralian Residential Services, Disability Information Group, and Central Australian Eisteddfod Council.
Highlights of the year included:
The implementation of the series of television commercials promoting better community relations was a great achievement.
It was made possible through the efforts of the Council, Tangentyere Council, and the Commonwealth Government.
The adoption of the sports participation levy as recommended by the Sports Facilities Advisory Committee changed the approach to the planning and funding of facilities .
The new animal control bylaws were introduced along with the revolutionary new microchip implanting method of registration.
The new bylaws provided greater ability to deal with dog complaints and allowed for the issue of infringement notices.
The upgrading of the Council’s computer facilities took place throughout the year and now produces a modern and versatile computerised information facility that replaces the old equipment after ten years of service.