Third Council 1977-1980

The Third Council: June 1977 - May 1980

Elections for members of the third Council were held on 28 May 1977.

Mayor Tony Greatorex and four Aldermen did not seek re-election. George Smith, a local jeweller, was elected as Mayor.

Elected Members

John Jenkins
John Marriott
Dennis Haddon
Alan Gray
Kendall McClelland
Gino Marinucci
Di Byrnes
Reg Smith
Bill Oestreich
Wally Mason

Changes within Council

9 June, 1977: Council elected Alderman Dennis Haddon to the position of Deputy Mayor
Resignations, 28 March, 1978: Aldermen Dennis Haddon and Wally Mason
28 March, 1978: Council elected Alderman John Jenkins as Deputy Mayor until after the by-election to be held on 20 May, 1978,
By-election, 20 May, 1978: Leslie Oldfield and Rosalie McDonald were elected as Aldermen
29 May, 1978: Council elected Alderman John Jenkins to the position of Deputy Mayor
Resignation, 31 January, 1979: Alderman Gino Marinucci
By-election, 24 March, 1979: Eight people stood for election, including Mr Marinucci. The successful candidate was Dan Kilgariff who enjoyed a landslide victory.



The Council endorsed the decision made by the previous Council concerning the up-grading of Todd House in Todd Street and its use as a Council Chambers until such time as the Municipal Chambers were built. Relocation of all administrative services of the Council to Todd House took place on 31 March, 1978, with the move to be completed before 3 April, 1978.

In July 1977, Alderman Di Byrnes was the Council’s nominee for the vacancy on the Northern Territory Planning Board.

With the Northern Territory about to receive self-government, Mayor Smith expressed concern that the Council must keep pressure on the Legislature of the Northern Territory to ensure that problems were addressed, for example, sealing of the Stuart Highway south, that the Commonwealth Government honours its promises concerning the Municipal Depot and the Council Chambers, and that the terms of the changeover give Council a better than even chance to succeed in managing its own affairs.

During mid-1977 the Council was considering plans for future residential subdivisions – Head Street subdivision including the area occupied by the racecourse and the East Side Valley subdivision east of Burke Street. These subdivisions were soon to go ahead.

The first Mayoral Ball was held on 19 August, 1977. The Ball was being held in conjunction with the Annual Queen competition in aid of Spastic Children.

His Royal Highness Prince Charles visited Alice Springs on 10 November 1977.

Development of the west bank of the Todd River between Wills Terrace and The Gap was carried out during the second half of 1977. In early 1978 the new half-mall was completed.

This allowed one way vehicle access through the mall.

The Council supported the idea of Christmas Festivities in the town by using Colocag Park and other available areas for decorations and activities. Colocag Park was on the corner of Todd Street and Gregory Terrace and is the present site of the Civic Centre.

Mr P. Holstein was employed as Senior Supervisor of Parks and Gardens, commencing duties in mid-April 1978.

In May 1978, Council agreed to commission Andrew McPhee and Associates to design the proposed Municipal Chambers.

Council recommended the purchase of two child care properties, namely 53 Bath Street and 153 Woods Terrace.



The Northern Territory officially accepted self government on 1 July, 1978. Former Alice Springs Alderman, Paul Everingham, became the Northern Territory’s first Chief Minister.

After resigning from that position in 1984, Everingham won the Northern Territory’s Federal House of Representatives seat where he remained for one term.

In December, 1978, Council accepted a tender from Universal Constructions Pty Ltd for the construction of the Alice Springs Municipal Chambers.

The Works and Capital Purchases Program for the year included items such as:

Acquisition of service lanes,
Construction of Municipal Chambers,
Development of Flynn Park,
Construction of Municipal Depot,
Development of Ross Park,
Construction of Alice Springs Garden Cemetery Stage 1,
Stuart terrace car park,
Undergrounding of Ross Park drain, and
Kerb and channel, Parsons Street.


At the end of January, 1979, Council approved the appointment of Mr W. Carter to the position of Municipal Engineer.

Council Officers conducted a survey of parking practice in the inner town area.

The Prime Minister Mr Malcolm Fraser, laid the Foundation Stone for the new Municipal Offices in a ceremony on 6 April, 1979. This was followed by a Civic Reception.

The stone was removed by the Town Council soon afterwards for safe keeping and later re-installation in the new building.

A monetary prize was approved for a competition to design a Coat of Arms for the Municipality.

The first vehicular bridge (Stott Terrace) was officially opened by the NT Minister for Transport, Mr Roger Steele, on 18 August, 1978. About 500 people were present.

The first vehicle to cross the bridge was a 1911 Model-T Ford driven by Dave Simpson.

The collection and disposal of garbage within the Municipality was contracted out to M. J. Hannon Pty Ltd for the next three years.

The Council, in April, 1979, resolved to reject a Northern Territory Government proposal to establish a farm that would be irrigated with effluent from the sewerage ponds.

The farm was to be constructed south of Heavitree Gap.



Despite having no previous position on Council, Mayor George Smith presided for almost six years and was Mayor when the new civic offices and Council chambers were opened on 14 March, 1980.

The construction of the new offices was funded by the Northern Territory Government in accordance with the terms of the local government agreement.

The Honourable Nick Dondas, Minister for Community Development, addressed the Council on the 13 March, 1980.

He informed Council that the NT Government proposed to introduce legislation to extend the terms of office for Mayors and Aldermen to four years and to provide a common election date.

The Honourable Paul Everingham, Chief Minister for the Northern Territory, formally opened the new, one million dollar plus, Municipal Complex on 14 March, 1980.

The Premier of South Australia, Mr Tonkin, attended the opening ceremony.

The Centre was designed by local architect Andew McPhee and built by Universal Constructions.

The design incorporated high pyramid rooves and wide overhangs to suggest Afghan tents and sandstone pillars after the style of camel's feet.

Andrew McPhee was an Alderman on the first Council.